Sunday 9 December 2012

Giving



For the second year I have helped a Children’s Wish Foundation as a volunteer.  Yesterday a mother came in with her four year old son.  She asked if we accept toys for donations.  She then went on to say that her son would like to donate a gift; he had bought with his own money.  He took the money out of his piggy-bank.

He handed me the gift, which I accepted.  I then told him how wonderful it was that he buy a present as great as this one.  It was an action figurine with accessories.  I also told him that his donation would make some little boy very happy when he opened it up Christmas morning.  I then thanked him for being so kind and generous.  His mom hugged him and told him she was proud of him.  

Although the boy didn’t say a word to either of us I saw the smile on his face.  

The lady I was working with brought in her twelve year old daughter, in the hopes to show her volunteering was a great way to give to those less fortunate.  I started her off with wrapping presents.  She enjoyed herself and may I add she caught on to the system swiftly.  When wrapping was done she became a great ambassador talking to people who were debating or questioning the organization.  My I add that she managed to get two people to become a Secret Santa and she also collected forty dollars for the donation jar.  

I think it is wonderful that parents are teaching their children about the spirit of giving in any form.

You hear about the depressed economy but you would never know it by the generosity of the Secret Santa’s buying toys and clothes for the children and families on the list.  It does a heart good to know and to see the kindness of strangers helping the nameless and faceless children.
No child should wake up Christmas morning and NOT have a gift from Santa under the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment